Vegan Sesame Kale Salad
Today I cooked this yummy vegan sesame kale salad, that I found on Pinterest. When I went to the store I found most of the ingredients right away, besides the tempeh, but I found something even better that made the dish a little spicy. (See substitution below)
INGREDIENTS for Vegan Sesame Kale Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/sesame oil
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups kale, de-stemmed + torn
- 2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 small head)
- *4 ounces of tempeh, chopped/crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- juice from 1/2 – 1 lime, depending on your liking
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (or powdered)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (black or white)
*I used Field Roast Mexican Chipotle vegan sausages
- Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, broccoli and tempeh. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tamari, water, lime juice, dijon mustard, ginger, pepper, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Add mixture to saucepan with vegetables and mix until well combined. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, scoop it into 2-3 bowls and top with the vegetable mixture. Add extra tamari/soy sauce as needed.
Recipe found at The Glowing Fridge