Vegan Five Spice Fried Rice
So we have been doing a lot of vegan cooking over the past few years and there are definitely a few recipes we love.
The Five Spice Fried Rice from Thug Kitchen is one of the vegan meals we cook on a regular basis.
It is quick, easy and comes from one of our most used cookbooks: Thug Kitchen which can be found HERE.
If you can get past the fowl language inside the book you will discover a ton of great recipes.
Or if you are easily offended you could always check back here for the clean version of some of our favorite recipes from the book.
Instead I have the real thing!
This is how our dish turned out and the great thing is this five spice fried rice can be made in large batches and kept in the refrigerator to be eaten throughout the week.
Ready for the recipe?
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into dice-sized cubes
2 tsp grapeseed, sesame or avocado oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/4 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder (available in the Asian food section of most grocery stores)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp Sriracha or chili paste
4 cups cooked short grain rice ( in this image I didn’t have short grain so I used long grain and it still was great )
1 cup bitter greens, chopped ( didn’t know what bitter greens were so we used leafy green lettuce )
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
2. Add the sweet potato and two tbsp of water and stir fry, stirring often, for about 5-8 minutes until the potato is tender and starting to brown. Add more water if the potato starts to stick.
3. Add yellow onion and carrot and continue to stir fry for another 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the 5-spice powder and garlic and stir fry for 1-2 more minutes. Remove all vegetables from the pan, cover and set aside.
5. Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar and Sriracha in a small bowl. ( We like the flavor of this so we actually doubled the amount to mix in )
6. Heat the remaining oil in the wok over medium heat.
7. Add the cooked rice and stir fry until warm, approximately 5 minutes.
8. Add the sauce mix and the vegetables, plus the peas to the rice and mix well.
9. Stir fry for another 1-3 minutes.
10. Fold in bitter greens and green onions
Serve and enjoy!
For more recipes like the Five Spice Fried Rice check out Thug Kitchen HERE.
You will find I modified the recipe a bit according to how we like it :).
If you got value in this post, feel free to share.